Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day ten: Lights

December 10, 2013
A day late... I did have a plan to post yesterday, but then shut off the computer without thinking.

I've always loved the magic and beauty of holiday lights. I've even had the white ones strung up around my house throughout the year (it's been a long time... I might have to do it again soon). I can recall laying on the floor of my Phoenix apartment with my kids just watching the tree twinkle to the music (I had a cool box that we'd plug the lights into).

Through the years I had lost the desire to put up a tree and decorations. I guess you could say that I was becoming a bit of a Scrooge. But that started to change a few years ago when Brianna told me that she really wanted a tree. It was then that I started to feel more "in the spirit" of the holidays. Instead of grumbling about the Christmas music in the stores I'd start to hum along (or sing if I knew the words). I'd even look at the new ornaments that were out for the year with delight instead of dread.

This year, Brianna and I decorated the house instead of a tree. This way, each room has something in it to bring a smile to our day. We hung the lights in our bedrooms since that is where we are most of the time and I can't help but smile when I walk into one of the rooms and see the bright colors.

2 comments:

  1. I love putting Christmas in every room! I think you have to do a tree in AZ since it is usually warm enough to wear shorts on Christmas day haha! The tree helps put you in the spirit since its not really cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember! I used to get mad at people who put lights on the saguaro but I was 10 and had a firm belief in what Christmas was supposed to be. :-)

      Delete