Sunday, December 8, 2013

Day eight: Evergreen

August 18, 2013
What does it mean to be evergreen? Yes, I know that during this season's festivities there are a lot of evergreen trees and wreaths and other decorations, but what do they symbolize?

Interestingly enough, each evergreen tree or shrub has a different "meaning". For example, cedar represents healing, pines are for eternal life, spruce for hope, and juniper is for protection. There are, of course, more detailed descriptions of all of these, but I'm not going to add them all tonight.

I decided to take this idea and internalize it a bit. To be evergreen would mean to remain flexible and able to bend when the winds are blowing you around. To be able to let the winter come, bearing the weight of the snowy burden without breaking. And to stay strong enough to stand up straight again when the storm has passed.

Can I be evergreen? Can I get through the turbulence and the burden and still stand up straight when the spring comes again? Most of me says yes. even though there is a small part that wonders if some part of me will break under the weight of the snow (worries). But most of me is sure that I won't break. No part of me. I will stay strong and flexible and able to stand tall after all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment